Re: [RP] Why?

From: Mike Meyer
Subject: Re: [RP] Why?
Date: Thu Oct 25 23:42:02 2001

Ryan Yeske <address@hidden> types:
> Mike Meyer <address@hidden> writes:
> > Well, I've continued the ongoing quest to make frames citizens of the
> > same class as windows, having just added "numberframe", "titleframe",
> > "selectframe" and "frames" commands. No patches yet - I'm still
> > restructuring code to better reuse the list processing code. LISP
> > programmers should like it :-).
> I look forward to seeing it :)

FWIW, all the frame stuff is done, including "place <window> <frame>",
to put a window in a specific frame.

> > But this leads to a couple of questions, like:
> >
> > Why does the number command not spit that output to standard out if
> > it's not interactive? I think that would be useful in a script. I know
> > I can get it other ways, but.... Ditto for the info command, and
> > possibly others.
> Because we never thought of that, and no one ever pointed it out,
> until now :)

Fixed. In fact, the output of all the commands has been reworked, so
that most now output information to scripts, as well as error
messages. In particular, most of the commands to set things will give
you back the current value if you fail to provide an argument.  The
ones I missed were for X things where I didn't know how to get a
string to use.

> > >From before, why does barloc take an int, but all the window
> > positioning things take a gravity? This isn't a screen issue, as
> > there's no such command in screen.
> I don't know about this, AFAIK its just the way it was originally
> coded before there were any other positioning things in ratpoison that
> took gravity.

I fixed that one as well. Barloc now takes a gravity, though I just
realized I really need to work on making anything but the corners
work, or put in restrictions against the other values.

I want to run with the new list management code over the weekend, and
do more testing on the recent changes. I hope to have a patch file
available for testing sometime early next week.

Insomnia may suck, but it's sometimes productive.

        <mike
--
Mike Meyer <address@hidden>                     http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?              A: Tell them your plans.