Re: [RP] Patch for frames et al...

From: Ryan Yeske
Subject: Re: [RP] Patch for frames et al...
Date: Fri Nov 2 17:32:02 2001

Mike Meyer <address@hidden> writes:

> Ryan Yeske <address@hidden> types:
> > I'm not sure I understand.  You want to have it look like this:
> >
> > $ ratpoison --command defwinfmt
> > defwinfmt = %n %s %w
> >
> > Why?
>
> Because that's easy for scripts to parse and makes sense to people as
> well. That's compared to the current behavior of having it say
> "Default windows format is %n %s %w" which is more than most scripts
> need, or just saying "%n %s %w", which isn't quite enough information
> for people.

Ok, I didn't understand that the suggestion was in comparison to an
even _more_ verbose output.  Reading the original message again makes
that clear :)

However, my argument is that there should be _nothing_ other than just
the value of the variable printed when called non-interactively.

Consider this script:

,----
| #!/bin/sh
|
| # save the background color
| oldbgcolor=`ratpoison --command=defbgcolor`;
|
| # print a message with a green background
| ratpoison --command="defbgcolor green";
| ratpoison --command="echo this is with a green background";
|
| # restore the old background color
| ratpoison --command="defbgcolor $oldbgcolor";
`----

If `ratpoison --command=defbgcolor' outputs anything other/more than
just the name of the color then this script would not work.

Ryan