Re: [RP] improvement to window selection menu

From: Mike Meyer
Subject: Re: [RP] improvement to window selection menu
Date: Mon Nov 5 11:59:03 2001

Robert de Forest <address@hidden> types:
> I was looking at the NEWS.gz in CVS and noticed the new %l formatting
> string which gives the last use of the corresponding window.  It occured
> to me to sort on this field so that the menu behaves like an alt-tab
> menu in other window managers, and then he suggested we take out the %s
> (status) field.  Here's the result:

[snip]

> SirDibos and I bound that to C-t w to replace the normal 'windows'
> binding.  Simply pressing escape in ratmenu closes the list without
> switching, and now that the default is the current window, enter works
> too.

The %l option was added because someone was looking for a way to get
to "The third to last window", as they wanted to bounce between three
different windows, not just two.  Because of that, the python version
- which still uses the old ratmenu - rolls the sorted list by two, so
that window winds up as the default. The older windows then trail down
the list. And I just got a cool idea for an extension for it....

> This is also easier to read and shows all windows, not just those
> that fit along the top of the screen.

I've had the menu chopped off because the frame was to short :-(.

        <mike
--
Mike Meyer <address@hidden>                     http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?              A: Tell them your plans.