Re: [RP] the end to all resize-loop problems

From: Shawn
Subject: Re: [RP] the end to all resize-loop problems
Date: Thu Jan 24 19:12:03 2002

Jonathan Walther <address@hidden> writes:

> Why not maximize the window ONCE on our own initiative (when its first
> mapped), and then only when the user purposely maximises it?
> If it didn't accept your maximize the first time, it probably ain't
> gonna accept it the second time neither.  This would also allow us to
> rip out a lot of special case handling code for transient_for and

Actually, we would still need the "special case" handling for
transient windows because they ARE a special case. If we didn't
recognize them, then the first time ratpoison maximized them, they
would take up the whole screen.

> related windows.

There are 2 kinds of windows: normal and transient. What other kinds
are you refering to?

> If a window says it wants to be a certain size, it probably really is
> best for it to be that size.  There a lot of broken software out there.
> Sucks to accomodate it, but this seems like an easy way to nip these
> eternal recurrences of infinite resize-loops in the bud.

Its not my problem if someone else's software is junk. It IS my
problem if ratpoison busts, though. A program might behave abnormally
if ratpoison is not correctly following the protocol. Frogs are well
known as a species that responds visibly to damage done to their
environment. Biologists study them to determine if what WE are doing
is having an impact on a certain habitat. If we are, the frogs
demonstrate it first by growing extra legs or becoming infertile. What
you are suggesting is that we wipe out the frogs so we don't have an
effect on the natural habitats. Lousy logic? Yes.

Busted apps are like frogs: if an app busts suddenly its very likely
that its because of a problem with ratpoison. This is GOOD. We WANT
this. If it turns out to be a busted program then tell them to fix
their bugs. Don't tell me to work around them. This is Free Software:
we do it Right.

Just for the record, I have NEVER had a problem with shitty software
BECAUSE I DON'T RUN SHITTY SOFTWARE. These eternal recurrences of
infinite resize-loops are because I am eternally trying to make the
maximize code better and I am eternally getting it wrong (followed by
getting it right, of course). Don't mistake that for the discovery of
"yet another" busted app.