[RP] weird problems with java apps

From: Judd Storrs
Subject: [RP] weird problems with java apps
Date: Sun Nov 17 15:43:02 2002

The players:

* ratpoison-1.1.1

* Linux Matlab R13 running under emulation on FreeBSD with jre-1.1.8
    (Matlab's jre-1.3 doesn't work on FreeBSD)

What happens is that only the menubar of the Matlab desktop and help
windows show up and the rest of the window is left blank i.e. the
important parts of windows are simply not drawn. (The Matlab GUI is
java based)

The wierd part is that if I start matlab under ratpoison and switch to
any other windowmanager (wmaker/ion/twm), the matlab windows complete
drawing and matlab functions normally. I can even quit that new
windowmanager and restart ratpoison and the matlab windows that were
open display fully and function normally (they can be split, resized,
etc). However, any new windows will have the strange problem when they
open.

It seems to be something in the way ratpoison handles the initial
opening of the windows that is causing the problem.

Any ideas how to track down the problem?
--judd