Re: [RP] Re: I can't use xmbdfed on ratpoison.

From: Shawn Betts
Subject: Re: [RP] Re: I can't use xmbdfed on ratpoison.
Date: Mon Sep 1 18:56:10 2003

Shawn Betts <address@hidden> writes:

> OKUDA Jun-ichi <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Dear Mr. Shawn Betts,
> >
> > I am using ratpoison window manager at all my computer.
> > But there is a problem.
> >
> > I tried to use xmbdfed, a bitmap font editor,
> > to customize some bitmap fonts.
> > But ratpoison was sending something to xmbdfed throughout
> > and I couldn't edit bitmap fonts.
> > It happens every version of ratpoison which I use.
> > With using twm, there are no problems.
>
> Hi OKUDA,
>
> What is the problem you're having? I was able to boot the program and
> edit fonts. I found that when drawing a glyph, the window would
> flicker and I'd lose my preview. C-t l refreshed it. Is this the
> problem you're having?

Hi Okuda,

I've looked into this problem a bit more. It seems xmbdfed sends a
configure request to be 448x470 and ratpoison resizes it to 1022x766
but xmbdfed doesn't notice that it's requests has NOT been granted and
goes ahead and refreshes only the 448x470 area of it's window when
clicking. So this looks like a bug in the application. The authors
probably didn't expect that a resize request wouldn't be
granted. Ratpoison can be harsh that way :). I would suggest
contacting the authors of this program or looking into the source code
yourself.

I found that if I split the screen into 3 frames and resize the
xmbdfed window to aroun 488x470, I don't have the refresh
problems. While this is a bit of a lousy workaround, it does work.

Shawn