Re: [RP] Stump WM

From: Shawn Betts
Subject: Re: [RP] Stump WM
Date: Wed Sep 24 11:11:08 2003

Nikolai Weibull <address@hidden> writes:

> Sorry for posting on this list, but I was wondering about the connection
> between ratpoison and StumpWM.  Both are maintained by Shawn Betts, so
> does this mean that StumpWM will take over the role of ratpoison?

StumpWM has similar goals. It will operate a lot like ratpoison, but
the advantage is that it is written entirely in common lisp. This will
finally give the flexibility and customizability that is basically not
possible with ratpoison. No more sick /bin/sh hacks, no more exporting
internal data in actions.c with def* commands. Just good, wholesome
lisp hacks. The best kind.

The advantage ratpoison has over StumpWM is that it is written in C
and takes <1M of memory to run. StumpWM requires a CL environment and
currently only runs on SBCL and Common Lisp which take their fair
share :). It'd be nice to run it in Gnu CLISP because it's much easier
on memory, but it seems CLX support for CLISP is not very good.

If you haven't heard of StumpWM yet, check it out at:

http://www.nongnu.org/stumpwm

Shawn