Re: [RP] is-wm-query

From: Shawn Betts
Subject: Re: [RP] is-wm-query
Date: Thu Sep 25 00:11:02 2003

twb <address@hidden> writes:

> Quoth Shawn Betts <address@hidden> on or about 28 Aug 2003 13:26:54 -0700
> >  twb <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> >  > Is there a way of checking if rp is the WM on $DISPLAY?
> >  >  (from the shell, that is, so launchers know if they can use rp to add
> > extra args)
> >
> >  how about:
> >
> >  $ ratpoison -c 'getenv DISPLAY'
> >

> You misunderstand me, Shawn.  I have a stand-alone keybinder that runs
> all the time.   Occasionally I switch to sawfish  or something[0], and
> `ratpoison -c 'colon exec dillo http://gooogle.com.au/search?q=' et al
> don't work, because ratpoison isn't running.
>
> Worse, the commands get cached (because  of the weird way I swith WMs)
> and when I switch back to RP, they all execute at once (blarg).

Hi Trent (sorry for the delay),

Yeah, commands are sent to the root window as properties. So they just
keep piling up if rp isn't reading them.

> What I want is to bind stuff like:
>
> `if (WM=RP); then ratpoison -c 'colon exec dillo
> http://gooogle.com.au/search?q='; else dillo http://google.com.au/search; fi`

Can you add a little hack to write a file /tmp/wm that contains some
cryptic piece of text that means aye or nay wrt ratpoison when you
switch WMs? Why not just have:

`dillo http://google.com.au/search`

Why run it through ratpoison?

> I was  hoping there'd be  some X Resource  or something that  I didn't
> know about.

Time for some sweet hacks by the sounds of things :)

Shawn