Re: [RP] Re: set-frame-font doesn't work for me

From: twb
Subject: Re: [RP] Re: set-frame-font doesn't work for me
Date: Mon Mar 1 22:53:05 2004

Joe Corneli wrote:
> I have
>
> Emacs*Font: -Sony-Fixed-Medium-R-Normal--24-170-100-100-C-120-ISO8859-1
>
> in my .Xdefaults and something similar in my default-frame-alist.
>
> When I run
>
> (set-frame-font "6x12")
>
> The only thing that happens is that the screen flashes.  Maybe its
> relevant that I'm running the ratpoison window manager, which has
> every window maximized?

For the record, here is what should happen (AFAICT):
caveat: I am using M-x set-frame-font RET 9x15 RET to test it.

You ask emacs to change the font size.
emacs FORCES (not requests) a window size change.
emacs refreshes the window content. *FLASH*
ratpoison notices the size change and FORCES it back to the `correct' size.
emacs notices the size change and changes its internal content. *FLASH*

At each *FLASH*, the emacs window goes completely white.  Also any
windows right or below the emacs window will refresh the parts that were
covered when emacs resized itself.

I do this on a remote X terminal, so it can happen slow enough
to see. My versions are (debian packages):
xfree86=4.3.0-2,
ratpoison=1.3.0cvs.2004-02-22,
emacs21=21.3+1-4.

In terms of behavior, this is better, as I almost always want the window
to be the same geometry after a font resize.

--trent