Re: [RP] dtach and ratpoison

From: Joshua Neuheisel
Subject: Re: [RP] dtach and ratpoison
Date: Tue Jun 22 04:51:06 2004

From: "Björn Lindström"
Subject: [RP] dtach and ratpoison

> When reattaching to a program, it apparently sends a WINCH signal to the
> program. Somehow, this doesn't lead to the right thing when I try it in
> ratpoison. The screen ends up blank. A ^L fixes this, but it's annoying,
> and it depends on the program used to support it.
>
> Any ideas on how to make this work, or suggestion on how dtach _should_
> handle this?

The _right_ thing to do is to set the window size via a TIOCSWINSZ ioctl.
This will cause the kernel to send a SIGWINCH to the foreground process
group of the terminal.  Programs receiving the SIGWINCH should 1) take note
of the change and 2) redraw the screen.  I checked out the CVS version of
dtach and it appears that this is what they are trying to do.

As far as RP is concerned, there's not much we can do.  When RP resizes a
terminal, it's the terminal's responsibility to notify its processes that
the window size has changed.

HTH,
Joshua