Re: [RP] xinerama: one big frame

From: Trent Buck
Subject: Re: [RP] xinerama: one big frame
Date: Fri Oct 15 22:13:02 2004

Quoth Kevin Geiss on or about 2004-10-15:
> so I just got xinerama going. it works fine with one frame on each
> screen. has anyone gotten one big frame which spans two screens? in my
> case, the screens are different resolutions so it probably wouldn't
> work well anyway, but I was wondering if it's theoretically possible.

Conceptually, a Xinerama screen is a single logical screen, with
different areas visible on each monitor.  Cameron's Xinerma patch
caused ratpoison to treat each monitor as a separate screen, but lets
you move windows between them because of the underlying Xinerama
screen.

Ratpoison <<1.3.0 doesn't have Xinerama support, so it (ratpoison)
just sees the single virtual screen.  If you run one of those earlier
versions you'll get one big frame.  Alternately, fire up a window
mangler that doesn't support Xinerama, such as aewm.

-trent