Re: [RP] Slightly OT? Alt_L // Mod1 and emacs

From: Bernhard R. Link
Subject: Re: [RP] Slightly OT? Alt_L // Mod1 and emacs
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 12:24:10 +0200

* Stephen Nelson-Smith <address@hidden> [070426 02:19]:
> shift       Shift_L (0x32),  Shift_R (0x3e)
> lock
> control     Control_L (0x25),  Control_R (0x6d),  Control_L (0x42)
> mod1        Alt_L (0x40),  Alt_R (0x71)
> mod2        Num_Lock (0x4d)
> mod3
> mod4
> mod5        Scroll_Lock (0x4e)
>
> When I fire up emacs-nox, I can only get M-x with Esc+x.  Caps works
> as a control, but meta doesn't at all - it seems to be ignored and all
> I get is a literal x.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

I guess emacs-"no x" does not see X, thus does not know that you have no
Meta bound to any modifier. Alt is not Meta. (The X variant run in its
own window will most likely see that you have no Meta and translate
your Alt to Meta, judging from what ratpoison does and that the comments
says it got this behaviour from emacs).

Hochachtungsvoll,
        Bernhard R. Link