Re: [RP] Patch: window border color

From: Shawn
Subject: Re: [RP] Patch: window border color
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 13:14:37 -0700

"Kipling Inscore" <address@hidden> writes:

> The attached patch allows the window border color to be set
> (seperately for focused and unfocused windows). Includes man and
> texinfo documentation.
> Default border colors are both black, giving no visible change by
> default (I like to set the focused window border color to orange).
> This provides an unobtrusive and persistant alternative to the
> "curframe" command. I'm submitting this patch simply because I like
> the feature and think others might as well.

Thanks! This is a fine patch (except for one thing see below) and
I've applied it to the repo.

> One place that looks like an unfortunate special case is line 811 of
> split.c (in remove_frame): give_window_focus (new, win);
> Although it makes sense when removing a frame to give focus to the
> window in the frame that filled the removed frame, it wasn't
> previously there. I added it to prevent unfocused windows showing the
> focused window border color.

You'll notice I applied a patch on the heels of yours that, I think,
fixes the problem. My solution is to set the border color for any
window that is hidden. I'm pretty sure this should solve the problem
and a few others that may be lurking possibly in tmpwm and
frestore. Let me know if you find any problems with it.

> I could replace this with just setting border colors but then it
> really would be an unfortunate special case.  Is there a known
> reason XRaiseWindow is called here and give_window_focus isn't? I
> didn't see any difference in my testing when I simply commented out
> XRaiseWindow (but I did not remove this call with my patch).

I believe XRaiseWindow is an artifact from when ratpoison didn't hide
windows not present in frames. In that case the windows would be
enlarged but appear underneath the windows that were present in the
old frame. That said, I don't have the confidence to remove it either :).

Let sleeping dogs lie.

-Shawn