[RP] Re: Using dzen, ratpoison, freebsd

From: Dirk Arlt
Subject: [RP] Re: Using dzen, ratpoison, freebsd
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 13:16:12 +0200

Axel Beckert <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 11:54:30PM +0200, Dirk Arlt wrote:
>> I work on using dzen with ratpoison but most scripts i find via Google
>> are done for xmonad. I'd love to see some scripts working using rp with
>> fbsd.
>
> I use dzen together with i3status[1] in ratpoison. I also use lxpanel[2]
> since I need a system tray for network manager's nm-applet.
> ("lxpanelctl menu" is bound to some key combo in .ratpoisonrc to open
> the menu without mouse.)
>
>   [1] http://i3.zekjur.net/i3status/
>   [2] http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXPanel
>
> Both, dzen and lxpanel are configured to sit on the bottom of the
> screen (non-overlapping of course) and not being managed by ratpoison.
> ratpoison's managed screen is limited to the space above those two
> bars using
>
>   set padding 0 0 0 40
>   unmanage panel
>
> in the .ratpoisonrc.
>
> Works fine for me on Debian GNU/Linux. Haven't tried it on FreeBSD though.
>
>               Regards, Axel

Thanks for your hints. I do not use any applets requiring a panel, I
just want to have some information visible. The most interesting ones
are there but i'd like to add at least a mailcheker.

I found a script for mailchecking[1] but did not get it to work within my
dzen-config. Network usage would also be nice.

[1] http://dzen.geekmode.org/dwiki/doku.php?id=dzen:gmail-notify