[RP] Problems with ratpoison keys being passed to web applications in Fi

From: Axel Beckert
Subject: [RP] Problems with ratpoison keys being passed to web applications in Firefox / Conkeror
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 15:16:26 +0100

Hi,

just gave a talk using my web browser (Conkeror[1]) and a HTML page[2]
with S5[3] (some JavaScript and CSS to make slides out of HTML pages)
and ratpoison as window manager.

  [1] http://conkeror.org/
  [2] e.g. http://noone.org/talks/kfreebsd/kfreebsd-fosdem.html
  [3] http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/s5/

I often switched to some xterm during the talk. And always when I
switched back to my slides with C-t C-t, the second C-t got passed as
"t" (not C-t) to the JavaScript running in the web browser. And since
"t" in S5 switches between slide show and web page view, I always have
to press "t" to get back to my slides.

Then I tried with C-t 1 (because the browser is window 1), but then
the "1" got passed to the web browser and since <Enter> is "next
slided" and "1<Enter>" is "go to slide 1", I jump to slide 1 (or slide
11 when I switch fore and back twice) when I want to advance to the
next slide.

Then I tried to see if it is Conkeror. But Debian's Iceweasel (an
unbranded Firefox) does the same.

So I'd like to know: What goes wrong? Anyone here has an idea?

* Does ratpoison pass those key strokes by mistake?

* Does Firefox/Conkeror/Xulrunner fetch key strokes from the wrong
  interface (e.g. before or in parallel to the window manager)?

* Does S5 fetches the key strokes from Gecko in the wrong way?

* Why does this happen to Firefox/Conkeror, but not xterm, urxvt,
  etc.?

* Why does this happen only to S5, but not input fields (e.g.
  textarea, input field, etc.) or Conkeror/Firefox itself?

                Regards, Axel
--
Axel Beckert - address@hidden, address@hidden - http://noone.org/abe/