Re: [RP] native virtuals

From: Shawn Betts
Subject: Re: [RP] native virtuals
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 10:22:36 -0800

2010/3/9 joshua stein <address@hidden>:
> i used to use ratpoison on a slow netbook with an even slower ssd
> drive and found that under a high system load, spawning out to the
> rpws shell script to switch between workspaces often was unbearably
> slow.
>
> to remedy that, i integrated virtual workspaces into the source so
> that switching workspaces was much quicker.  i've been running this
> for quite a long time and figured i'd send it out in case anyone
> wants to formally integrate it or at least run it locally.
>
> it adds a "virtuals" config option which specifies how many
> workspaces there are (defaults to 5), a "vinit" command to
> initialize those workspaces, a "vselect" command to switch to a
> given workspace, and "vdump" command to print out the
> workspace/frame config for each one.  it basically runs the same
> commands that rpws did and uses groups, just does so internally.

This is an interesting idea, but I have a counter-proposal. Since
you're doing it all in ratpoison, you could hook the frame config code
into groups. Give groups a save_frames slot and when you set that to
TRUE then the group saves and restores the frame layout in its
frame_layout slot or something. That seems better integrated. What do
you think?

-Shawn