Re: [RP] Question about resizing windows on startup

From: Ingo Krabbe
Subject: Re: [RP] Question about resizing windows on startup
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 12:02:42 +0100

On Wed, Nov 03, 2010 at 02:23:28PM -0400, James Nelson wrote:
> I'm dealing with an old system here at work that uses ratpoison for
> the touchscreen UI. It worked fine on the 1024x768 monitors we used to
> use, but we are having problems with newer 1280x1024 monitors - there
> is a gray bar at the bottom of the screen that I can't seem to get rid
> of.
>
> Now, I'm calling Firefox in this window - is there something I can do
> to force the window to go to 1280x1024?

Hi Jon,

I'm not prefectly sure what is happening there or what you are doing
there actually, as if there is no padding ("set padding 0 0 0 0"), which
is the default, each untiled frame should take the whole size of the
screen.

Though there is a popular exception of some/most terminal programs, that
resize stepwise by width and height of the fonts character boxes, so
they might not fit prefectly into a frame, if the frames size is not
integer dividable by width and height respectively.

But a firefox window for example should take all of the space its given,
just as most other gui programs.

Sometimes it helps to press C-t,l to redisplay the window.

Also, if you have a simple background color for your application, that
doesn't resize right you might also be able to set the root windows
color to the background color of that window (with xsetroot for
example).

regards
ingo