Re: [RP] linux distro for ratpoison/minimalist config on laptop?

From: Martin Steer
Subject: Re: [RP] linux distro for ratpoison/minimalist config on laptop?
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 15:10:31 +1000

On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 07:01:11PM -0700, Greg Minshall wrote:
hi.  i normally run on a Mac (and run rp under Apple's X), but now i'm
interested in using Linux on a PC laptop.

i don't want a "desktop environment", but do want X in order to run RP,
emacs, firefox, gnuplot, etc.

i'm a Linux newbie (but BSD oldie).  it seems if i load, e.g., Ubuntu,
it deals with my hardware (ethernet, wifi, suspend/resume), but comes
with a plethora of what i assume to be desktop software, stuff i don't
want.

I use Arch Linux, without a desktop. You should find plenty of info
about that kind of setup on the Arch user forums.

I'm pretty sure Debian will also let you do what you want, as will
Gentoo (amongst others).

Martin