Re: [RP] [RFC] Add xrandr support

From: Axel Beckert
Subject: Re: [RP] [RFC] Add xrandr support
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2016 10:49:59 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 10:16:58PM +0100, Mathieu OTHACEHE wrote:
> Drop deprecated xinerama support and replace it with xrandr.

While I'd be very happy to see xrandr support in Ratpoison, I don't
think that it's already time to drop Xinerama support.

While xrandr is very popular with plug-and-play situations like on
laptops, Xinerama is still in use for permanent setups like
workstations, etc. Using xrandr with permanent multihead setups feels
rather like pain to me.

And AFAIK those features don't conflict with each other in general.
You just either use one or the other. But which one to use is solely a
decision of the local sysadmin (workstation scenario) or even the user
(laptop scenario).

                Kind regards, Axel
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | address@hidden  (Mail)
 X   See http://www.nonhtmlmail.org/campaign.html | address@hidden (Mail+Jabber)