rdiff-backup-users

Re: win_acls changes trigger creation of increments

From: Robert Nichols
Subject: Re: win_acls changes trigger creation of increments
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 22:15:30 -0500

On 4/21/21 12:08 PM, Patrik Dufresne wrote:
[snip]
1. I'm not aware of any changes in the logic between 1.2.8 and 2.0.5
regarding Win_acls. So I'm expecting this to be an issue in 2.0.5. Is it ?
2. Would we consider this normal behavior to create increments (empty
increment) when the only changes are metadata changes ?

It's been that way since forever, and it's not unique to Windows ACLs.
Changes that affect only file metadata cause these "zero-diff" files to
be created, and since they are compressed, they are not empty files but
actually occupy a disk block. Places like /usr/src/kernels and
/var/lib/yum/yumdb, which make extensive use of hard links, cause
thousands of these files to be generated every time there is an update.
I wrote a rather messy audit to get rid of them, and the first time I
ran it resulted in over 4,000,000 files being deleted.

                Do NOT delete it.