repo-criteria-discuss

[Repo-criteria-discuss] What about self-hosting?

From: Zak Rogoff
Subject: [Repo-criteria-discuss] What about self-hosting?
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2017 11:26:31 -0500

Hi team,

Bradley Kuhn sent me a message a while ago pointing out that, if we are
recommending ethical code hosting platforms, we shouldn't leave out the
possibility of self-hosting. Of course, most people will prefer to use
an existing instance of, say, Gitlab, rather than running their own, but
it does seem worth mentioning.

Does anyone have ideas about the best way to bring this up? The two
ideas that first come to mind are:

- Links to source code/instructions for services that score C or above,
saying "Host your own!"

- A category in the Free Software Directory for code hosting software,
which would not include scores but would include a link to the
evaluations page so people can cross-compare.

Thoughts?

--
Zak Rogoff // Campaigns Manager
Free Software Foundation