repo-criteria-discuss

[Repo-criteria-discuss] A Sad Day for Ethical Repository Hosts

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: [Repo-criteria-discuss] A Sad Day for Ethical Repository Hosts
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2017 15:47:19 +0000

For those on this list that may be interested: Gna! (gna.org) has announced that it will likely be shutting down soon. It's understandable, given the lack of updates, but nevertheless it is a blow for the free hosting world. As I understand it, several independant persons are in contact regarding possible transfer of all data to another service, but it's safe to say that if anyone has any data on Gna!, they should transfer it off.

Also, I don't know how others on this list feel about this, but in the light of the recent database issues* on GitLab, I want to commend their transparency* and openness during this period. A shining example of what should be done! (Not the way the database was accidentally deleted, but the way it was handled afterwords).

*warning: proprietary JS