repo-criteria-discuss

Re: [Repo-criteria-discuss] GitLab registration requires reCAPTCHA

From: Mike Gerwitz
Subject: Re: [Repo-criteria-discuss] GitLab registration requires reCAPTCHA
Date: Sat, 19 May 2018 23:16:43 -0400

On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 02:46:03 +0000, Thomas Levine wrote:
> Mike Gerwitz writes:

[...]

>> Does it work with JavaScript disabled?  I find that many websites
>> implementing reCAPTCHA do have a working non-JS fallback (I always have
>> JS disabled, with few exceptions, and encounter many CAPTCHAS using
>> Tor).
>
> It does not work with JavaScript disabled.

It looks like the reCAPTCHA does have the textarea for the non-JS
fallback when I view it without a stylesheet, but you can't get to the
registration tab without running GitLab's (free) JS.  But in doing so,
the fallback reCATPCHA is hidden!

So I see two ways of addressing this:

  1. Permit the registration pane to show with JS disabled (it has an
     anchor now, so the `target' CSS pseudoclass could be used); and

  2. Do not attempt to hide the reCAPTCHA, so that it can do its thing
     and properly fall back.

I'll get in touch with Sid Sijbrandij and see who we should contact for
these sorts of things; discussions on the repo criteria have long since
stalled, and some working on it don't work at GitLab anymore.

--
Mike Gerwitz
Free Software Hacker+Activist | GNU Maintainer & Volunteer