reproduce-devel

[bug #58243] confusing configure instruction: DO NOT manually edit the r

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [bug #58243] confusing configure instruction: DO NOT manually edit the relevant files
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2020 23:21:48 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #1, bug #58243 (project reproduce):

Thanks for pointing this out Boud. The relevant file here is
`reproduce/software/config/LOCAL.conf'. This file isn't in the
version-controlled history of any project, but keeps the "local" (current
machine) settings of the project.

Essentially it just keeps the answers to the questions asked during the
`./project configure' step.

But I agree, that statement should infact be corrected to say the opposite,
something like: "You can always change the settings selected here by modifying
that file". There is just one BIG WARNING that we should add: if the
build-directory is changed (with the same content), none of the built software
will be usable! Because the absolute URLs of the libraries is hard-coded into
all the shared libraries of the project. I guess this was the main reason I
put this statement at that time. But I do often find myself manually editing
LOCAL.conf to add an input data directory or software tarball directory.

Can you do this in a good way, given your explanation, I am sure you'll be
able to put a much better statement ;-).

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?58243>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/