reproduce-devel

[task #15617] Individual program names and versions as LaTeX macros

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [task #15617] Individual program names and versions as LaTeX macros
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2020 21:24:33 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #1, task #15617 (project reproduce):

Thanks for bringing this up Boud, when I ran the default Maneage TARGET.conf
settings with this option, I got this in my `initialize.mk':

\newcommand{\projectversion}{1378b41}
\newcommand{\gnuastroname}{{\sc GNU}}
\newcommand{\gnuastroversion}{Astronomy}

I guess its not yet suited for multi-word program names.

But generally doing this in the analysis phase (which is run every time the
project authors are working on their analysis, but never changed unless they
re-configure) is a waste of resources. It is also not easy as the example
above shows.

In the old days, I also wanted to do this, but recognized that given the long
paragraph we provide for all the software and their citations, such
fine-grained macros for each software are redundant. Just for reference, that
paragraph comes from `.build/tex/macros/dependencies.tex' and can be loaded
into the paper anywhere that the project author wants ;-).

When someone wants to discuss the version of a software in other parts of the
paper, they can just ask the reader to go and look in the acknowledgements.

What do you think?

In the end, if we do decide to have fine-grained LaTeX macros for each
software name and version, its much more easier to do it at the end of the
configuration script (where we built `dependencies.tex') ;-).

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15617>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/