reproduce-devel

[bug #58351] Host system CFLAGS and LDFLAGS should normally be avoided

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [bug #58351] Host system CFLAGS and LDFLAGS should normally be avoided
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 16:57:02 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #3, bug #58351 (project reproduce):

I just had a closer look at this problem and wanted to add something to the
previous point:

The mentioned line in your Commit e4499a0ba is for Bash and as described in
the previous commit, this is because we are relying on the host's C compiler
and C library, so if they have special settings in their system, we need it.

But just a small correction: `CPPFLAGS' is for the `-I' options (to include
headers), not CFLAGS. At the the start of basic.mk
<http://git.maneage.org/project.git/tree/reproduce/software/make/basic.mk#n50>,
we modify CPPFLAGS environment variable (as well as LDFLAGS and PATH and some
other relevant environment variables), to first look into Maneage's
installation directory, and then the host's pre-defined places:

export PATH := $(ibdir):$(PATH)
export CPPFLAGS := -I$(idir)/include $(CPPFLAGS)
export LDFLAGS := $(rpath_command) -L$(ildir) $(LDFLAGS)

In this way, as long as we don't have the necessary tools, the built programs
will look in the host's tools. But as Maneage builds up its inventory of
programs and libraries, they will be preferably used, not the host's.

If you think this clarifies the issue, you can close this bug ;-).

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?58351>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/