reproduce-devel

[task #15635] Stable branch and/or release candidates/official releases

From: Boud Roukema
Subject: [task #15635] Stable branch and/or release candidates/official releases
Date: Fri, 15 May 2020 17:14:58 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #4, task #15635 (project reproduce):

By windows-with-POSIX, I didn't mean that we have such a system, but rather
that such systems apparently exist. I meant that we would need a volunteer
with access to such a system and the willingness to test it.

An old system:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_POSIX_subsystem

Some interesting quotes:

> This subsystem implements only the POSIX.1 standard ...
> The NT POSIX subsystem was included with the first versions of Windows NT
because of 1980s US federal government requirements  ... if Windows NT had not
included this subsystem, computing systems based on it would not have been
eligible for some government contracts.

Apparently more up-to-date:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Subsystem_for_Linux

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cygwin
> Cygwin (/ˈsɪɡwɪn/ SIG-win)[2] is a POSIX-compatible environment that
runs natively on Microsoft Windows.

Obviously, anyone running any of these systems should assume that they are
already compromised (in terms of security) at the Windows level, automatically
sending telemetry data to Redmond if it's Windows 10 and hosting "unwanted
inconspicuous guests" in the system (resources for Russian troll farms).

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15635>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/