reproduce-devel

[task #15620] Creating a series of short videos explaining all angles to

From: Boud Roukema
Subject: [task #15620] Creating a series of short videos explaining all angles to Maneage
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 19:22:34 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #7, task #15620 (project reproduce):

I put a link to the peertube.live instance of the video
at https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/index.php?15654 , since
that seemed more appropriate for specific web pages/URLs.

I agree that one concern with git-LFS would be
that it apparently needs a third party server. Between
git-LFS and peertube, I think I would tend to go for peertube
as more decentralised - by default, people who view the
video in the web interface do it peer-to-peer by torrent; those
who select "..." (next to the like/dislike/share icons in the
main interface below the video
<https://peertube.live/videos/watch/862f11c4-d63d-4484-b81c-81206ccfc14d>)
have the choice of downloading
by torrent or directly, in any of various compressed formats
that they find convenient. This sounds technically more
reasonable than git-LFS for human-viewable videos -
which are not like observational data files.

As for deleting a big file from a git repository, it seems to
me that unless you manage to make the file inaccessible in
the git history by something unrecommended like
_git reset --hard_, and you make sure that nobody accidentally
re-pushes that part of the history tree up to the public
repository(ies), then it's quite hard to convince _git prune_
and _git gc_ to really get rid of what you think is useless
garbage. I tried this once on in a temporary directory with
a local git repository and was unable to get the .git/
directory down to a small size after trying to delete all
history of a fake big file that I committed and then tried
to "hide" completely. Git is about the worst thing to use
by any group/organisation that is uncomfortable about transparency;
it's just not designed for censorship - unless you remove
the .git/ directory hierarchy itself, losing your whole
git history. And this includes "tidying" by removing big
useless stuff as "censorship". That's my impression, in any
case; it could be that my git skills were still too elementary.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15620>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/