reproduce-devel

[task #15680] Project's SoftwareHeritage link in final paper

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [task #15680] Project's SoftwareHeritage link in final paper
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2020 17:26:45 -0400 (EDT)

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

SoftwareHeritage is designed for archiving (and later citing special parts of)
software. With Maneage, a full project can also be archived there, the
project's URL just has to be given to SoftwareHeritage, as explained in the
publication checklist
<https://gitlab.com/maneage/project/-/blob/maneage/README-hacking.md#publication-checklist>.

But it would help readers if a good SoftwareHeritage link was also present in
the paper. I have to look more closely in its documentation, but so far, the
best was I have found was through the actual host of the project. So for
example for [1] we should use [2].

[1] https://gitlab.com/makhlaghi/maneage-paper.git
[2]
https://archive.softwareheritage.org/browse/origin/directory/?origin_url=https://gitlab.com/makhlaghi/maneage-paper.git

In the current implementation of the Maneage paper
<https://gitlab.com/makhlaghi/maneage-paper-pdf/-/blob/master/paper.pdf>, [2]
is actually the URL that the highlighted "SoftwareHeritage" link points to
(just under the abstract).

But there must be a better way to cite a hash that also has the full history.
I tried using the hash of just one commit, but that  remove all other history,
for example this one:

https://archive.softwareheritage.org/browse/directory/54412fdf19d8f2121f01c77aa5e6f18abfbb75a7/

Probably this explained somewhere on the SoftwareHeritage webpage, but I
couldn't find it in a fast search. I am just defining this task so we don't
forget to look with more details later ;-).

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15680>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/