reproduce-devel

[task #15701] Sandboxing the execution of the project

From: Boud Roukema
Subject: [task #15701] Sandboxing the execution of the project
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2020 10:55:06 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #3, task #15701 (project reproduce):

[comment #2 comment #2:]
> I must confess that the scenario you described with "rm -rf" happened to me
once! Fortunately I wasn't root, but before I could understand the mistake, my
home directory was gone!!!

> But Looking back at that experience, it happened while I was developing my
own project (it was a simple typo that can happen in any script!).

Software security should in general have many layers, with each assuming that
other layers may make mistakes. One layer to prevent that sort of error is
following recommended programming practices. I'm not an expert in that, but I
try to follow the styles that I see as recommended.

I've started the task
https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/index.php?15706
for the issue of curly brackets in parameter names for the generic shell and
for bash. I tend to think that that could reduce the probability of this sort
of catastrophic error.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15701>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/