reproduce-devel

[task #16016] Reporting OS name, kernel and C library version

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [task #16016] Reporting OS name, kernel and C library version
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 17:27:29 -0400 (EDT)

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

Currently in Maneage, we give all the version and names of all software built
within Maneage. We also report the low-level CPU properties like the
endian-ness and its address size.

But we don't report some other critical information like the name of the OS,
the kernel version, and the C library name and version: the components we
don't install within Maneage.

Because we don't install these components, it can be argued that (with the CPU
information), reporting these critical components in the PDF, are more
important the reporting our own installed components: because anyone can go
into the project's Git history and see the version of AWK that was used for
example. But there is no way they can know what OS we used, what kernel it had
and what C library everything was built with.

Fortunately extracting these information components is easy and they can be
included in the generic statement about software versions. But we can also
define separate LaTeX macros to let users include this in the paper without
the full software environment (which might not be possible due to its volume
in some journals).

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?16016>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/