reproduce-devel

[bug #61337] Modularity/dependence of basic software packages

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [bug #61337] Modularity/dependence of basic software packages
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 18:11:07 -0500 (EST)

Follow-up Comment #1, bug #61337 (project reproduce):

When we find such hidden dependencies, we should indeed, add them in the Make
prerequisite.

In the particular case of libbsd, in the current version updating, it has been
moved to 'high-level.mk' as part of commit b8b1a534
<https://gitlab.com/maneage/project-dev/-/commit/b8b1a534>; commit message in
the P.S.).

But generally, even in the not yet version-updated 'maneage' branch, 'libbsd'
depended on Coreutils directly! So I don't exactly understand how this
situation occurred. What do you mean by "removing" coreutils? Did you just
delete the target file in '.local/version-info'?

But in the future if you do find such cases and you notice that we have missed
any dependency, please add it as a dependency and let us know to include in
the 'maneage' branch ;-).

P.S. Message of commit that moved metastore (and thus libbsd and libmd into
the high-level set of packages):

Metastore (and thus libbsd and libmd) moved to highlevel

Metastore (and the packages it depends on) is a high-level product that is
only relevant during the project development (like Emacs!): when the user
wants the file meta data (like dates) to be unchanged after checking out
branches. So it should be considered a high-level software, not basic.

It also usually causes many more headaches and error messages, so
personally, I have stopped using it! Instead I simply merge my branches in
a separate clone, then pull the merge commit: in this way, the files of my
project aren't re-written during the checkout phase and therefore their
dates are untouched (which can conflict with Make's dates on configuration
files).

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?61337>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/