Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Licenses clarification

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Licenses clarification
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 18:37:59 +0000

Sylvain Beucler <address@hidden>
> Afaics dual-licensing is a way to avoid the kind of problems you
> mentioned (for your specific examples I think there are others).

Dual-licensing would not avoid these kind of problems, because
users could choose which licence to use and could pick FDL,
which allows licensees to attach unremovable chapters.

See http://www.mysql.de/www/company/legal/licensing/faq.html for
MySQL AB's description of it, or
http://www.lamsfoundation.org/faq/04.html for an explanation
from part of Macquarie University, Australia.

> Note that it's not about accepting the GFDL as a license,
> since we already do so.

Understood. My request is that you do not require licensors
to use the FDL, as you don't at present.

Sincerely,
--
MJ Ray - personal email, see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html
Work: http://www.ttllp.co.uk/  irc.oftc.net/slef  Jabber/SIP ask