[Savannah-hackers-public] Re: savannah shell access?

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: savannah shell access?
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 18:00:11 +0100

Hi,

First a precision: I'd like Savannah to a massive hosting platform, by
opposition to fencepost where each user does its own specific tasks.

This means that I don't want to make exceptions; if something works
for 1 user, it needs to be available to other users. The reason is
that when we make changes to Savannah later on, we can't take into
account every possible configuration, only the one we installed.

There's already some kind of exception for managing some "super-user"
privileges for group 'www' so they can edit any www.gnu.org page, ie
including in CVS repositories they don't own (emacs, gnash,
etc.). This was and still is time consuming, that's why I don't want
to add other exceptions.

In this case I see that it would be useful for you to directly setup
the CVS replication, and I'm not necessarily as reactive as needed.

But I don't wish to install a service at Savannah that would generally
require shell access for users.

So I think you can have direct shell access, not for managing
coreutils, but as a Savannah contributor, for setting up a CVS<->git
mechanism that also work for other projects.

The other solution is to continue as we do now: we work together on a
generic solution, and I install and maintain it myself, though that
may prove less efficient.

--
Sylvain