Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: locate on sv.gnu.org?

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: locate on sv.gnu.org?
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 09:06:15 -0600

    'info nice' says that's an advisory to the scheduler, apparently
    without clear meaning.

My experience is that it helps a little, but not as much as one would
like.  Certainly can't hurt, though.

    ... assuming the load is a meaningful value to determine the server's
    activity, though.

My experience is that it is more meaningful than often said, but
certainly not infallible.  Of course there are lots of other system load
gathering programs, like sa.

    I never really understood how that works.

My understanding is that it's the average length of the run queue, ie,
the number of processes that would like to run but don't have the cpu.

    Do you wish to look for such pattern in:
    /vservers/savannah/var/www/uptimes.txt

Well, just because it was easy, I tried to look for times when the load
average was less than one:

awk '$10 < 1 {print substr($1,0,2)}' \
  /vservers/savannah/var/www/uptimes.txt |sort | uniq -c | sort -nr

The results (below) seem quite surprising, that the middle of the EST
afternoon is the quietest time.  But some greps indicate similar
numbers, so I guess it's right.

So maybe set it up to run with nice -19 once a week at Sunday 13:30?  I
doubt that will impact anything too severely.  We can always revisit
later, too.

BTW, without dates, uptimes.txt seems like it can only be used for such
massive stats, not for tracking actual problems when the load was high.
Does it have another purpose?  Could do a date>> to the file once a day.

Thanks,
Karl

  17231 13
  17063 14