Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Making a CVS repository read-only

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Making a CVS repository read-only
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 22:56:33 +0100

address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:
> We (the Guile folks) are in the process of switching Guile's repository
> from CVS to Git [0].  A Git repository has been created a few minutes
> ago on Savannah [1].
>
> For practical reasons, we'd like to make the CVS repository read-only,
> maybe just after we've created a `THIS-REPOSITORY-IS-DEAD' file in a
> prominent place referring people to the new Git repository.
>
> Is it actually possible to make the repository read-only?  If so, we can
> probably coordinate on IRC.

Sure.

What I've done in the past is to cvs-remove all files
except one, like your THIS-REPOSITORY-IS-DEAD, and then
to add a commit hook prohibiting all write access.
That way, old cvsweb links will continue to work, yet no one
will be able to accidentally commit any change.

Let me know when/if you'd like the commit hook to be put in place.