[Savannah-hackers-public] disabling mailman html archiving

From: Karl Berry
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] disabling mailman html archiving
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 18:58:01 -0500

Hello sysadmins and savannah hackers,

I have the impression that the web archives on lists.gnu.org all go
through mharc (~mharc), and the html archives that are generated by
mailman (in /var/mailman/archives/{private,public}, minus the .mbox
directories) are not used at all.

If that's right, couldn't we save some cpu and disk by telling mailman
not to bother with its html archiving in the first place?  Specifically,
by setting
ARCHIVE_TO_MBOX = 1
in /var/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py?  (That file is only writable to root.)
The default in Mailman.py is 2, for both mbox and html; 1 = just mbox.

Then we could also rm -rf all of mailman's non-.mbox directories (not
that disk space is a problem right now, I realize).

Thanks,
Karl