Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] importing cvs repo

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] importing cvs repo
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 13:43:39 +0200

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 12:41:09AM +0000, Karl Berry wrote:
> Sylvain,
>
> http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/ImportingCVSRepository looks stale,
> still talks about vserver.
>
> I know someone is going to ask us to do this soon (Winfriend B for
> dataexplorer) and was hoping someone other than you would be able to
> help.
>
> On a similar front, is
> http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/RenamingProjectGroup (ie, run
> ~/infra/maintenance/rename_project.sh + mlists + web) ok for us mortals
> to use?  The script looks like it's been updated, but thought I should
> check.  Winfried is going to ask us to do that too (gde ->
> dataexplorer).

They work as in "they are run with root privileges and may destroy
data, and you should run them line by line if you feel unsafe".

I have yet to find a way to write such scripts so they run more safely
- the plan is to add the "rename" and "delete" operations in Savane as
first-class operations.

Importing a CVS repository is difficult because there's no standard
way to distribute a CVS repository (unlike SVN that has dumps, for
instance) - the script tries to deal with some corner cases but
usually this requires checking if everything went right after it's
done.

--
Sylvain