[Savannah-hackers-public] Re: [Savannah-register-public] project approva

From: Alex Fernandez
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: [Savannah-register-public] project approval
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 23:13:34 +0100

Hi LynX,

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 10:51 PM, LynX <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a little question, and would be grateful if you answer me. I want to
> submit following project:
>
> PropertiesWindow is a command-line program which shows Windows "File
> Properties" dialog box for specified file or directory.
> This program can be used as a part of extensions for GNU Emacs Win32 dired
> mode.
> Written on C++ using WinAPI
>
> As you can see this program works only on Windows and it did not comply with
> "My project runs primarily on a completely free OS". But I provide it with
> aim to be used like extension of dired in Gnu Emacs on Windows.
>
> So my question is, can I submit it or not?

I am not a legal expert, but I would think that this is a case that
can be considered based on principles. Given that Emacs is universally
held to be a quasi-OS, perhaps a special provision can be made.

I am copying the Savannah hackers list so we can get an authoritative
answer over there.

> Binary and src of it you can find on
> http://savannah.gnu.org/submissions_uploads/PropertiesWindow.tar.gz
>
> Thank you,
> LX
>
> P.S. Also I have written another program which displays list of Windows hard
> drives and it also for Gnu Emacs on Windows.

I suppose the same consideration could hold here.

Thanks,

Alex.