Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] bzr commit notifications [was Re: VM vcs u

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] bzr commit notifications [was Re: VM vcs upgraded (mostly)]
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 01:23:02 -0400

Bob Proulx wrote (on Wed, 1 May 2013 at 21:17 -0600):

> In theory bzr wasn't upgraded.  The package manager thinks it has
> 2.1.2-1 installed and there isn't an upgrade for it in Stable so there
> shouldn't have been any changes.  The log doesn't show any changes to
> it.  However bzr itself reports 2.6b2 so I know that it is out of sync
> with the package manager.  I don't know when that was installed.

It used to be 2.5, AFAIK.
http://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=7240

That was fairly important, since older bzr versions were slower.
The last release is 2.5.1, a minor bug fix.
2.6 is still in beta (and seems likely to stay there).
I don't know where 2.6b2 would have come from.
Maybe staying with 2.5 would have been better.

> > I think that may have removed the revision_history attribute that
> > bzr-hookless uses. It was deprecated in 2.5:
> >
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr-hookless-email/+bug/988195
> >
> > has a possible patch.
>
> Thank you for doing that research!  That is very likely the problem.
> I will try the patch and see if that fixes things.

(Someone at the bazaar mailing list might have a suggested fix if that
patch doesn't work.)

I believe the more standard way of doing things is the bzr-email plugin.
http://packages.qa.debian.org/b/bzr-email.html
http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/plugins/en/email-plugin.html

But there were some security concerns:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers/2009-12/msg00009.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers-public/2010-03/msg00028.html

Maybe the concern is that someone with write access to a branch's
bazaar.conf could eg set post_commit_mailer to something malicious.
I don't know.