Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Memory issues on vcs0.vs.gnu.org

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Memory issues on vcs0.vs.gnu.org
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 11:41:55 -0600

Hi Assaf,

Assaf Gordon wrote:
> Follow two reports from Arnold and Charles (CC'd),
> it seems vcs0 was experiencing some memory issues earlier today.

People poked the FSF admins in the irc channel starting about 5am this
morning.  Ruben needed to reduce the memory footprint and killed the
many git processes that were running there.

> For now I believe the temporary load has resolved it self.
> But in the long run, we'll need more RAM (or add more limits on processes'
> memory?)

Things are still a little tense because at least one repository,
pythonwebkit.git, is 1.8G in size and has been getting hit a lot this
morning for some reason.

The regression tests show that bzr-web is offline.  I restarted
apache2 on vcs0 but no joy.  Unfortunately I can't look at it beyond
this right now.  I believe a vcs0 reboot would restore all however.
If it melts down again I would reboot the system.  I hate to do that
too egregiously however because that will kill working processes.

Unfortunately I am unavailable for help most of the daylight hours
today.  Ruben says he will keep an eye on the system today.  I will be
digging into things this evening.

Bob