Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] fcgiwrap daemon failure and mitigation - a

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] fcgiwrap daemon failure and mitigation - added cgi 'ping' script
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2017 22:27:32 -0600

Assaf Gordon wrote:
> > As we discussed on IRC,
> >
> > I've added a tiny CGI script to test fcgiwrap.

> I've added a tiny CGI script to test fcgiwrap.

Very good!  Thanks for doing this.  Some comments.

> The script is here:
>    vcs0:/opt/savannah/cgi-bin/cgi-ping/ping.pl

If that were the source directory then using a .pl suffix is good
form.  But in an installed location that isn't typical.  I know it is
shielded by the layer of web config though.  So I am torn.

> It can be used in two ways:
> 1. When used without any GET parameters, this script returns the
> server's
>    local time and the load average:
>
>         $ curl https://git.savannah.gnu.org/ping
>         load avg: 0.35 0.47 0.43 1/219 26002
>         localtime: Mon Jun  5 22:11:54 2017

This consumes the very generic namespace of "/ping" but was created to
be an fcgi test ping.  Shouldn't that be called "/fcgi-ping" instead?
So as not to consume the generic namespace?  For example "/ping" is
most often connected to php5-fpm.  (Which also consumes the very
generic namespace too.  But they didn't consult me.)  This could
become a name collision in the future.

> If it's OK, I'll push it.

Except for what I mention here I am good for it.  But regardless
please feel free to push it.

Thanks for doing this!

Bob