Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Fwd: DMARC and gnu.org lists

From: Reuben Thomas
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Fwd: DMARC and gnu.org lists
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2017 23:09:40 +0100

On 25 August 2017 at 22:55, Bob Proulx <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Reuben,
>
> Reuben Thomas wrote:
>> [Not sure where I should be sending this; Eli suggested here!]
>
> The best place is going to be either address@hidden or to the FSF
> sysadmins at address@hidden .  It all depends upon how deep things
> need to go.  I see in the forward that you did mail this to
> address@hidden but I don't see it in the list there.  Did you perhaps
> get a bounce from it there?

I did not get a bounce. I can't find anything in my spam folder either.

> The problem is that DMARC is fundamentally incompatible with mailing
> lists.  If you are sending from a strict DMARC policy then you can't
> use mailing lists.  This is one of those cases where trying to fix one
> problem has created a new problem.

Debian has made the necessary changes and I believe I no longer have
problems with Debian mailing lists (certainly no-one has complained
about my emails to them for a while).

The Debian bug that follows how they dealt with it is here:

No. https://wiki.list.org/DEV/DMARC

> What changes are those?

I'm not a mailing list administrator, I don't know the details; but I
guess you should be able to see from the references above. (Apologies
if I'm just repeating things you already know.) From reading the
Debian bug report, their lists were not rewriting the Subject anyway,
and they also dropped their email footer changes for signed messages.