Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] "mklauncher" task #15275

From: Ineiev
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] "mklauncher" task #15275
Date: Tue, 28 May 2019 04:04:25 -0400

On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 03:30:51PM -0600, fedoramedia.cf wrote:

> >Sorry. mklauncher-1.0.0-source/lcl-1.8.4/themes.pas says,
> >"The software may not be included into component collections and similar
> >compilations which are sold."
>
> This is not proprietary software. Lines 8-11 of the file
> "mklauncher-1.0.0-source/lcl-1.8.4/themes.pas" :
>
> 08//------------------------------------------------------------------
> 09// Windows XP Theme Manager is freeware. You may freely use it in
> any software, including commercial software, provided
> 10// you accept the following conditions:
> 11//

Freeware is proprietary software,
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/categories.html#freeware

Even if the copyright holders have their own idea about freeware,
they clarify it in "the following conditions," which don't allow
selling software.

> In any case, this is a type of "freeware problematical", and it is
> easy to overlook it by mistake.
>
> This type of problem is what we are interested in, in order to
> correct them.
>
> The solution is simple.
>
> We can delete the file "themes.pas" and all its dependencies.

No, the solution isn't simple.  You didn't care enough not to allow
proprietary software in your package, you didn't care to remove it
when submitting your package, you didn't care to look for it when
you were told your package contains it, you didn't care to check its
distribution terms against the free software definition when it was
pointed at.  You are not likely to maintain the proper licensing
status of your package when nobody reminds you about it.