[Savannah-hackers-public] renaming accounts

From: Ineiev
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] renaming accounts
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 08:44:45 +0000

Hello,

I'm sorry, I should have said this three weeks ago when
https://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/RenamingAccounts/ was
being updated.

The command line sequence written down in "Current Status"
may not work e.g. when the old name coincides with a name
of some group,

SELECT DISTINCT old_value FROM group_history,user
  WHERE field_name='unix_group_name' AND old_value=user_name;

In order to avoid it, I could only come up with restricting
the modification of group_history to a rather long set
of specific field_name values, that wouldn't be practical
for running in a command line.

Also, in theory an account with the "new name" may be registered
between the check,

SELECT * FROM user WHERE user_name = 'newuser';

and updating the database,

UPDATE user SET user_name='newname' WHERE user_name='oldname';

I suggest abandoning the command line sequence and using
the web interface instead: the link to edit the user is present
on /u/oldname when logged in as a superuser, and in the userlist
on /siteadmin/usergroup.php; that page, /siteadmin/usergroup.php,
has a control to rename the account.