Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Emacs git repository clone limits

From: Ian Kelling
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Emacs git repository clone limits
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2020 10:21:58 -0400

Philippe Vaucher <philippe.vaucher@gmail.com> writes:

>> > I understand your reasoning.  And if this were an infrastructure at,
>> > say, Amazon AWS EC2, setup to be elastic and just scaled out then your
>> > reasoning would be totally on target.  Increased load would scale out
>> > to more parallel resources.  It is more typical to have a load
>> > balancer in front of http/https protocol servers and so those can be
>> > set up rather straight forward.  And also load balancers could be set
>> > up in front of git:// protocol server too.
>> >
>> > However the GNU Project is dedicated and directed to using only Free
>> > Software.  And is hosted in this goal by the FSF.  Which means
>> > everything is self-hosted.  Funded by the annual fund raising from
>> > donors just like all of us who donate funding.  And resources are
>> > limited.
>>
>> I want to just chime in and say that from my perspective, limited
>> resources is the biggest issue.
>>
>> Please don't clone emacs from Savannah as part of an automated process
>> that runs regularly. Setup a mirror or multiple mirrors that get
>> incremental updates.
>
> I got your message loud and clear. Please remember these parralel
> clones only happen like once per month, but I get your point.
>
> The FSF resources are limited so I'll do my best to hit the git repo
> only when necessary, with a local clone or another method (I was
> thinking I could build some images using the .tar.xz bundle instead).

Thanks. Obviously, the repo is there for people to clone and we are
happy that people do.

Related, did you know that emacs uses a free software version of gitlab
that is used for automated builds and testing (aka ci) that runs on an
FSF hosted vm. I mention in case there is any opportunity for
collaboration. That machine is on the same local network as savannah, so
there's not much worry about bandwidth. If you want to learn more, I
would ask on the emacs-dev mailing list. I've talked with the main admin
before and I'm sure he'd be happy to chat.

- Ian