[Savannah-hackers-public] GnuCOBOL on Savannah - was: [gnu.org #1571923]

From: Simon Sobisch
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] GnuCOBOL on Savannah - was: [gnu.org #1571923] Please adjust the forward of https://www.gnu.org/software/gnucobol/
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2020 10:41:37 +0200

Am 22.07.2020 um 09:58 schrieb Therese Godefroy via RT:
> Hello Simon,
>
>> If it would be possible then I'd really like to migrate the project
>> space to gnu.org, but it seems that savannah won't get an update to
>> Allura in the future :-(
>>
>> If you have any ideas how to at least partial migrate to gnu.org -
>> please drop a note.
>>

> In fact, GnuCOBOL is already on Savannah [0], and you are one of
> the admins of the project [1]. As such, you can create a Git repo,
> a mailing list, etc.

We've already migrated the mailing lists and expanded them years ago.
Migrating the repo (currently svn, but Savannah support that, too)
would primarily be useful with migrating the issue trackers and those
sadly miss:
* tagging (multiple tags)
* own issue numbers (they are shared, I guess with all projects)
* option to create more (the missing "feature-request" tracker)

The most important bit missing is a discussion board (ideally with the
option to reference issues and commits and with different formatting);
maybe I've only missed this feature?

As I've understood it Savvanah uses a free and modified version of what
was used on SoureForge years ago (or the other way around); the SF part
got extended, partially rewritten and is now Apache Allura, but Savannah
stayed nearly the same (other than integrating newer VCS).

If that's possible then I'd like to export the Allura tools (bug
tracker, feature tracker, patch tracker, discussion boards; all exported
as json) along with the Subversion repository and migrate it over to
Savannah, but so far I found no way that wouldn't mean the users
(including me) loose many of their known features (not speaking about
styling; I guess a project specific css may be possible).

I've started to work on a migration from SF to Gitlab (where finally a
migration path from Allura exists - as long as the repo is converted to
Git), but after it is getting worse in the forge-evaluation [I still
hope that it gets an update outside of its mailing list] I've put that
on hold.

Thanks for taking care,
Simon