Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Project evaluation for librebootreborn

From: Asher Gordon
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Project evaluation for librebootreborn
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 03:51:39 +0000

Hello Ineiev,

Ineiev <ineiev@gnu.org> writes:

> On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 08:08:24PM +0000, Asher Gordon wrote:
>>
>> Should I do my next evaluation here or on the tracker?
>
> I think you may do that on the tracker.

Ok, I will do that.

>> In that case, there are a lot more files that need license notices. For
>> example, seabios/scripts/test-build.sh or
>> grub/util/grub-module-verifierXX.c. There are also some with
>> non-standard license notices for the GPL. For example,
>> memtest86plus/spd.c contains the comment
>
>> /*
>>  * MemTest86+ V5 Specific code (GPL V2.0)
>>  * By Samuel DEMEULEMEESTER, sdemeule@memtest.org
>>  * http://www.canardpc.com - http://www.memtest.org
>>  */
>
>> No specification whether it is GPLv2.0 only or GPLv2.0 or later.
>
> The GPL says that in order to assume "or later", either no version
> should be specified, or the program should say "or later" explicitly:
>
> [...]

I see. So in this case, it would seem the file is licensed under GPLv2.0
only. And since this is incompatible with GPLv3 (or later versions), it
does not comply with Savannah's hosting requirements, correct?

>> Another file with the same issue is seabios/scripts/layoutrom.py:
>
>> #!/usr/bin/env python
>> # Script to analyze code and arrange ld sections.
>> #
>> # Copyright (C) 2008-2014  Kevin O'Connor <kevin@koconnor.net>
>> #
>> # This file may be distributed under the terms of the GNU GPLv3 license.
>
>> There are several other such files as well.
>>
>> It seems unreasonable to expect Leah to find the copyright holders for
>> each of these files and ask them to add valid license notices.
>
> This would mean that librebootreborn is the kind of free software packages
> that can't comply with Savannah hosting requirements.

That is unfortunate, especially as Leah seems really dedicated to Free
Software ideals. I will post to the tracker.

Asher

--
Only fools are quoted.
                -- Anonymous

GPG fingerprint: 38F3 975C D173 4037 B397  8095 D4C9 C4FC 5460 8E68