[Savannah-hackers-public] Add information about downloading Git snapshot

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Add information about downloading Git snapshots
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 17:31:32 +0300

Hi,

Any project hosted on Savannah, at least those using Git, supports a
feature that allows downloading a snapshot of any branch in the Git
repository.  You can do it like this:

   wget https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/PROJECT.git/snapshot/BRANCH.tar.gz

Alternatively, one can point a Web browser to this page:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=PROJECT.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/BRANCH

and then click on the "snapshot" link near any commit; that will
download a tarball representing the repository state at that commit.

So far so good, but AFAIK this information is nowhere to be found on
Savannah, at least not on the pages of the projects.

Can this information please be added to the appropriate page of each
project?  For example, here:

  https://savannah.gnu.org/git/?group=emacs

The motivation for this request is that sometimes users are asked to
try a development snapshot, and some of them want a snapshot tarball
to do that.  Last time I was asked, I needed to dig into my records
for several minutes before I found some old email where someone told
me about that.  I'd like this information to be more easily
discoverable, if possible.

TIA