Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Savannah bug->email gateway problems

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Savannah bug->email gateway problems
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 14:33:40 -0600

Bob Proulx wrote:
> It appears that systemd is setting NoNewPrivileges=yes for apache and
> if I read the documentation correctly this will definitely break
> things in the way we are seeing.  I have removed that setting and am
> trying things again.

That seems to have been the problem.  I upgraded all of the packages
that I had downgraded during testing and restarted all.  I just tested
this with a different ticket and it sent the mail okay.

The root cause of the problem appears to have been over exuberant
hardening from someone setting NoNewPrivileges=yes in systemd for the
apache processes and as that prevents all suid in child processes it
basically breaks anything and everything that calls out to
subprocesses such as sending email with /usr/sbin/sendmail and other
things.

Bob